How can (crapper) you master (officer) the fundamentals (principle) of Photoshop CS4, with all (every) of its incredible (dumbfounding) features? Deke McClelland's proven One-on-One learning (acquisition) system offers step-by-step tutorials, five (fivesome) hours of DVD-video demonstrations, and hands-on projects to improve (meliorate) your knowledge (noesis) and hone (improve) your skills. Read about (most) features such (much) as Photoshop's new (newborn) Adjustments panels in the book, and see (wager) how they're used (utilised) first-hand in the video.
Author Deke McClelland's Photoshop CS4 One-on-One Top Ten New Features Roundup
10) Spring-loaded tools. Temporarily select (superior) a tool (agency) by pressing (imperative) and holding (retentive) its shortcut (road) key. For example, when retouching an image (ikon) with the healing (sanative) brush: Press and hold (stop) Y to temporarily get (intend) the history (story) brush, erase (cancel) part of your modification, and then release (promulgation) Y to return (convey) to the healing (sanative) brush.
9) The Adjustments palette. Nondestructive adjustment (fitting) layers (which are independent (autarkical) layers of editable color (colouration) adjustment) are now (today) handled in a palette. Some folks will (module) love the convenience, others will (module) lament the many (some) changes that were required to accommodate (alter) this feature. Mostly, though, the palette (reach) aggregates stuff (clog) that's been there for ages. One new (newborn) item, Vibrance, enhances color (colouration) intensity without exaggerating noise.
8) The Masks palette. CS4's other (another) new (newborn) palette is largely (mostly) another aggregator, providing convenient (favourable) access to old (older) features. Three new (newborn) items: The wonderful Color Range command (bidding) can (crapper) now directly (direct) generate masks. Color Range can (crapper) see base (humble) colors based (supported) on proximity. And you can (crapper) blur edges parametrically (meaning non-permanently, by the numbers).
7) The enhanced Bridge 3.0. The Bridge is CS4's asset (quality) manager, permitting you to preview (advertisement) and organize (care) your images. Auto-updating workspaces, a review (analyse) mode complete (rank) with image (ikon) carousel, full-screen preview, folder-independent image (ikon) collections, and search-based smart (sharp) collections are just (meet) a few (some) improvements. Oh, and you can (crapper) assemble multipage PDF contact (occurrence) sheets from the Output panel.
6) Improved toning tools. Paint with the dodge (falsity) tool (agency) to lighten (modify) an image; paint (makeup) with the burn (defect) tool (agency) to darken. Only thing, the tools used (utilised) to suck. Now they're so good, I actually use (ingest) them on a regular (lawful) basis. They're still (ease) destructive (meaning they permanently change (modify) pixels), but in a good (beatific) way!
5) Camera Raw 5. Essentially a logically organized (designed) and altogether (nudity) independent (autarkical) color adjustment (fitting) application, Camera Raw continues to be that top-secret tool (agency) that makes every version (edition) of Photoshop worth buying. This time, it offers the equivalent (equal) of nondestructive and highly customizable dodge (falsity) and burn. Which you can (crapper) apply as brushstrokes or gradients. Plus you can (crapper) add vignettes inside (exclusive) crop boundaries. It's like (same) a free (liberated) copy of Lightroom bundled inside (exclusive) every version (edition) of Photoshop. Which given (presented) that Lightroom costs more than a Photoshop upgrade, and this is just (meet) feature (feature) 5 of 10, is fairly (evenhandedly) significant.
4) Target adjustment (fitting) tool. Associated with three (threesome) color (colouration) adjustments—Hue/Saturation, Black (Negroid) & White, and Curves—the target (direct) adjustment (fitting) tool (agency) lets you selectively modify (add) colors (colours) and luminance levels by dragging in an image. For example, drag (inspire) on a model's lips to boost (increase) their saturation. No need (requirement) to isolate (separate) a hue (dye) range. Just drag. Honestly, if you aren't loving (doting) this tool (agency) within a week, check (analyse) to make (attain) sure you have (hit) a pulse.
3) The tabbed-window interface. This feature (feature) has already proved (evidenced) controversial, with a few (some) noisy Macintosh users in particular (portion) voicing disapproval. But speaking (speech) as a cross-platform guy (man) with a decidedly (definitely) Mac bias, it's a net-sum gain. You now (today) have the option (choice) of docking (arrival) every image (ikon) in a tabbed window. Click a tab (journalism) to switch (alter) documents. Drag a tab (journalism) to reassign (designate) priority. Plus, you can (crapper) drag-and-drop a layer (place) onto a tab (journalism) to move (advise) that layer (place) from one (digit) image (ikon) to another. The tabbed window (pane) interface (programme) is a masterpiece (work) of design (organisation) and a thing (abstract) of beauty.
2) Content-aware scaling. Part of Adobe's advance (front) compositing suite, the Content Aware Scale command (bidding) lets you stretch (debase) or squish (splosh) low-contrast "background" elements independently of high-contrast "foreground" ones. Which means (effectuation) you can (crapper) bring people (grouping) together, turn (invoke) horizontal images into vertical (plumb) ones, and otherwise transform (alter) photographs intelligently. My guess: five (fivesome) years from now (today) we'll all (every) be mocking (playful) this feature (feature) for what it got wrong. (The degree (honor) to which it can (crapper) mess up certain (destined) images is fantastic!) But in the moment, you're going (feat) to be singing (melodic) its praises. This is Photoshop's first (prototypal) truly magical feature (feature) since the magic (illusion) wand. And that was 18 years (eld) ago, babies. (Okay, the healing (sanative) brush was also magical. And that was, what, seven (heptad) years (eld) ago? So we're talking (conversation) three (threesome) magical features in two (digit) decades. Got to admit, magic (illusion) is rare.)
1) OpenGL navigation. Forget all (every) that other (another) stuff. Seriously, content-aware scaling? As if. So far (farther) as I'm concerned, Photoshop CS4 offers one (digit) and only (exclusive) one (digit) new (newborn) feature: OpenGL navigation. Assuming you have (hit) a video (recording) card that supports OpenGL (most do), then here's what you get: Slow continuous (constant) zooms. Rotate the view. Get the hand (assistance) tool, toss (throw) the image, and watch (check) it sail (canvass) across the screen. Hold down (downbound) H and click (utter) and hold (stop) for bird's eye. And by God if every zoom (ascent) level isn't a thing (abstract) of bicubically rendered beauty. (No idea (intent) what I'm talking (conversation) about? Trust me, huge.) OpenGL navigation (guidance) is so good (beatific) it makes me hate (dislike) CS3. Some nights, OpenGL navigation (guidance) and I open (unstoppered) a bottle (bottleful) of wine (intoxicant) and just (meet) talk about (most) how lucky (serendipitous) we are just (meet) to have (hit) met each (apiece) other. It's that good.
Paperback: 544 pages
Publisher: O'Reilly Media; 1 edition (October 28, 2008)
Product Dimensions: 9.6 x 7.9 x 0.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 2.7 pounds